Monday, June 8, 2009

Wipeout Weekend!

I have no idea what we used to do on our weekends but they must have been boring. I don't think any of us (including the dog) sat down all weekend. I don't think Heather could wait to get back to the office so she could catch her breath...
It all started with us getting out of the house at 9:00am Saturday, a feat in and of itself. We headed over to Bond Park in Cary to see the Dog Daze show. They had a frisbee throwing competition, which I think Abbott could have easily won - even at her old age, but for the problem of not always wanting to return the frisbee. The kids thoroughly enjoyed seeing all of the different kinds of dogs from really really big (horses) to really tiny (mouse-dogs). Well, they enjoyed it for a few minutes but then it was off to the playground.
When we got home everyone lathered up and headed to the pool after devouring some Jersey Mike's for lunch. Now I'm the guy with the eight bags and rafts and life jackets and coolers and strollers - oh and gromlets... long ago were the days you headed to the pool with just a frosty beverage and a book. After some intense splashing and playing it was nap time for the kids while Heather carried on the battle and went to the grocery store. My favorite spot to nap these days happens to be on the porch in my chair with the ottoman and three pillows. There seems to be some kind of noxious gas coming from the woods and catching a breeze right to my chair. It knocks me out cold which is why I never fight back and just let it take me. This is how I can nap. Once all the kids got up we went for a wagon ride around the block and then played on the swingset (Bumblebeeeee!!!) until dinner time.

On Sunday after being dressed and ready for church an hour early, Heather and I looked at each other and instantly decided a change of plans was in order. So we lathered up again, packed a lunch and headed for Pullen Park. Little did we know that trying to jump the gun on the crowd would leave us with two hours to kill before the carousel and train opened. We played a lot and had a picnic by the lake. Emerson was worried about the ducks in the water drowning and asked Mommy, "Where are the duckies' life jackets?" We died laughing! Emerson and I finally got to ride the merry-go-round and we all rode the train and retreated for the car just before we reached breakdown point of no return. Wyatt ruined my plan for a nap when we got home by sleeping in the car instead. I guess catching a nap one out of two days isn't so bad for dad. Another busy afternoon playing outside ensued before we donned our wetsuits for bathtime again.

After this weekend I am convinced that the best exercise is playing with your kids. If it was a gym membership you can always pay and just not go, but with kids you pay and you have to go, and go, and go. The only problem is there are no "off" days with the kid workout plan, so you never get to re-energize, unless you happen upon my special chair on the porch.....

No comments:

Post a Comment