Thursday, November 11, 2010

A bittersweet time to remember

The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Psalm 23

We have been studying this passage in church the last five weeks, and it resonated with me on Monday as we sat in church at my grandfather's funeral where they once again recited it. I knew it, I felt it. Grandpa Reynolds died on July 13, 2010 and we buried him at Arlington Cemetery this past Monday, November 8th. It will be a day I will never forget. A retired Colonel in the Army, I hate to admit that it had been nearly 10 years since I'd seen him. Alzheimers had taken a toll on him and my fears and weaknesses had kept me from facing him. Now all I can do is ask God for forgiveness.

I really do believe that something good comes out of all situations. Seeing my grandmother, Popi, for the first time in ten years made be feel 10 years old again. Somehow, those roles reversed as I so much wanted to take care of her during her immense grief. She got to meet her four (only) great-grandchildren for the first time. I hope this is the beginning of a time of healing for our family, something that has been a long-time coming.

We love you Grandpa, and goodbye-it's not forever. May you rest in peace and know that we will one day join you.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment